Dutch regulations on higher education

Dutch regulations on higher education
The Equal Treatment Act (Wet Gelijke Behandeling (WGB)) obliges Dutch universities to provide disabled students with essential provisions that enable them to complete their studies successfully. The universities don’t have to have all the facilities in place until a student asks for them, so most universities argue that it is the responsibility of the students to arrange the facilities they need.
Included in the Dutch definition of a disability are psychical, sensory, cognitive and psychological disabilities (e.g. depression, dyslexia, autism, ADD and ADHD) and chronic illnesses.


If you don’t have Dutch nationality (or similar rights), you are not eligible to receive funding under the Dutch welfare system or the regular Dutch scholarship programme. Only the Equal Treatment Act applies to you.

If you are an Erasmus student with a disability, you can apply for an extra grant to pay for special needs.

Applying for an extra Erasmus grant:
  • Ask the Erasmus coordinator at your university about the application procedure in your home country (application deadline, where to obtain and submit your application form, etc.)
  • Fill in the form describing your disability/special need(s) and additional requirements. Make a detailed cost estimate of the extra financial support you will need for these requirements
  • Include a statement from an official authority/institution attesting your disability and its degree of severity, its impact on your mobility and an estimate of the additional costs for your participation in the Erasmus programme
  • Hand in your application at your home university or to the National Agency for the Lifelong Learning Programme in your country (this depends on the country-specific procedure)
  • Your university or National Agency will assess your application and decide whether or not you should receive extra funding
  • If you are entitled to an additional grant, you must sign a grant agreement that clarifies your rights and obligations
  • Once you have completed your course or placement period, you must report the exact amount of additional expenses, along with evidence (invoices). Your grant agreement will contain specific rules concerning this report

There are no structural Dutch or European funds to support non-Erasmus students. Nevertheless, to find out about the options you could:
  • contact your university’s international office, the Dutch embassy or the local authority in your county, province or country to see whether they have grants to support you or information on organisations that may do

If you reside in an EU/EEA-country or Switzerland, you are entitled to a loan or contribution towards your tuition or course fees. Check whether you are eligible at www.duo.nl/particulieren/international-student/studying-in-the-Netherlands/loan-tuition-fees.asp

If you have Dutch nationality (or the same rights), you are entitled to the same student grants that Dutch students receive. More information about the Dutch grant system: www.duo.nl/particulieren/student-hbo-of-universiteit/studiefinanciering/studiefinanciering-aanvragen.asp
Disclaimer en Privacy statement. Bezoek je onze website, dan ga je akkoord met deze cookies